Wednesday, February 10, 2010

If a company gives you false contact information does that invalidate the transaction?

I subscibed to a magazine service and they gave me 3 days to cancel but the number they had given me was fake because I called to cancel a few hours after I put down the phone because I realized I didn't want the magazines and it wasnt even ringing. So I called my bank to ask for their contact information but since it was still pending the information was unavailable. By the time I got it was past the 3 days and they said I can't cancel anymore.


So am I stuck with this bill?If a company gives you false contact information does that invalidate the transaction?
It's a classic ploy to snag subscribers. You may be able to find legitimate contact info for the company on the Internet that you can use to get in touch.If a company gives you false contact information does that invalidate the transaction?
First of all, check out the company on the internet and see if you can obtain a number there. I would also contact the bank and tell them to put a stop on all payments. I'm sure the company then will contact you. Another option is to contact your local Better Business Bureau and tell them your situation. They can give you the office to contact (which will be where the company is located) and they will help resolve the issue.
Usually when you ask your bank or credit card company to stop payment on something they will or in some cases they will reverse the charges..be insistent with your bank/cc company after all you are their customer.It's your money and they need to respect you as their customer. If it really is to late for the bank to do anything call the Better Business Bureau in your area and the area where the magazine company is ...this involves a little paper work but this works. They really do invesigate and take action on all cases.
It's illegal, yes. If you can't stop the bank transaction, then write or call every contact in the first issue of the magazine. Also call the office of your State Attorney General and inform them.
you can always try small claims court. did you constantly call them before the 3 days were up? if so get a detailed call list from the phone company that proves you tried to contact them. take them to small claims and get your money back.
Don't pay the bill.





Assuming you gave them a Credit Card number, contact the Credit Card and let them know the charge is fraudulent/in dispute.
Sue them.
  • loan
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment